The most indispensable item in my daily life as a new mother is the ERGO baby carrier. It is the third baby carrier I tried and the one my baby was most comfortable in.
Here are my tips on how you'll know you've found "the one":
1. Baby is so comfortable in the baby carrier, he/she falls asleep anywhere, irregardless of who's carrying him/her. This means grandma, auntie, daddy can babysit and baby will remain calm and comfy in her baby carrier comfort zone.
2. Your back will not be sore after 5 hours of shopping with baby in tow.
3. It is easy to put on and remove (within 20seconds) by Mummy without any third party aid (so you can function alone without hubby on those daytime shopping trips; no tying or worry of dropping baby whilst putting on the carrier)
4. Easy to put away (in your stroller or hung on a chair during dinner time)
5. Has pockets for you to shove that extra diaper, tissues, wet wipes or whatever baby might need in case of accidental poop during that short 1-2nd stroll...
6. You can observe baby looking around and appreciating her surroundings.
7. Baby likes it so much she totally chomps/chews/bites the organic teething pads on the carrier.
8. Easily adjustable straps so that daddy/nanny/grandma can take over and carry baby halfway through a shopping trip.
My daughter has developed such a bond with her ERGO and once I strap it on at the waist, she comes scrambling over to mummy coz she knows it is time to go out. I also love how close baby is to me and when she falls asleep you can feel her heartbeat. Surprisingly, baby still remains cool in the baby carrier. My daughter breaks out in eczema when it gets too hot, so this carrier is a big savior as it keeps her eczema free in sunny singapore.
Enclosed are pictures of the same baby carrier being utilized by different members of my family. I've also found the carrier to be very useful on flights as it helps to make baby fall asleep and keep her calm in the unfamiliar plane surroundings where different air pressures tend to make babies cranky and disturbed. We use the carrier at night when baby finds it tough to sleep due to reflux or colic. Just strap her on and walk around and she falls asleep within 10-20mins.
Also attached is a picture of an article from Young Parents May 2012 Issue which lists which retail stores sell the ergo baby carrier. There are online stores which advertise the ergo at prices between SGD60-80, but please
note those are likely fakes. The way to differentiate an authentic ergo carrier is by looking at the zips, they should have the ergo logo if they are authentic. Although this carrier can cost over S$200, it's a worthy investment and I would highly recommend it as the perfect thoughtful
gift for any new parent.