Since my first visit to Hong Kong, Yung Kee at Lan Kwai Fong has always been my favorite place for roast goose. With baby in tow this time, I visited Yung Kee again just after lunch time peak hour but unlike my other fond memories of the place, this experience was disappointing.
1. Service was bad - there were lots of empty tables on the first floor but they told me to wait with baby and even suggested I go upstairs... Just because I was a foreigner!!!
2. After 10mins I got a table, and they shoved me a menu. Was rude asking what tea I wanted, and slow in taking my order although there were lots of staff around.
3. Not baby friendly with no offer of baby chair
4. Menu is a rip off. My favorite roast goose rice is HK$48 a bowl and HK$20 more for a plate. What happened to the wonderfully generous 双拼they used to serve?? I opted for HK$48 bowl as I was alone but that did not satisfy my craving.
5. Staff did not offer dim sum menu even when I asked about char siew bao. I ordered anyway. Thank goodness char siew bao was delicious.
Morale of the story: another good example of how an old name suffers with tourism and misplaced priorities (focusing on and profit over everything else, including maintaining good service & taste)
On a lighter note, next day at Tsim Sha Tsui mall - iSquare - I found a nice Cantonese restaurant (Praise House Congee & Noodle) on the 7th floor with roast pork + char siew with soup & tea lunch set at HK$32 only!!! I even added a roast goose Cheong fun and bill was HK$48 in total = 1 roast goose rice bowl at Yung Kee!!! The roast tasted just as good if not better! More friendly staff and good service as well