2012年4月10日火曜日

Revisiting Yung Kee roast goose Hong Kong

Since my first visit to Hong Kong, Yung Kee at Lan Kwai Fong has always been my favorite place for roast goose. With baby in tow this time, I visited Yung Kee again just after lunch time peak hour but unlike my other fond memories of the place, this experience was disappointing.
1. Service was bad - there were lots of empty tables on the first floor but they told me to wait with baby and even suggested I go upstairs... Just because I was a foreigner!!! 
2. After 10mins I got a table, and they shoved me a menu. Was rude asking what tea I wanted, and slow in taking my order although there were lots of staff around.
3. Not baby friendly with no offer of baby chair 
4. Menu is a rip off. My favorite roast goose rice is HK$48 a bowl and HK$20 more for a plate. What happened to the wonderfully generous 双拼they used to serve?? I opted for HK$48 bowl as I was alone but that did not satisfy my craving. 
5. Staff did not offer dim sum menu even when I asked about char siew bao. I ordered anyway. Thank goodness char siew bao was delicious.

Morale of the story: another good example of how an old name suffers with tourism and misplaced priorities (focusing on and profit over everything else, including maintaining good service & taste)

On a lighter note, next day at Tsim Sha Tsui mall - iSquare - I found a nice Cantonese restaurant (Praise House Congee & Noodle) on the 7th floor with roast pork + char siew with soup & tea lunch set at HK$32 only!!! I even added a roast goose Cheong fun and bill was HK$48 in total = 1 roast goose rice bowl at Yung Kee!!! The roast tasted just as good if not better! More friendly staff and good service as well

0 件のコメント: