Who remembers Cool station & Happy Cup from the 90s?
Today it's an upscale version of the popular beverage, and intense competition among the new taiwan bubble tea shops taking Singapore by storm: Gong Cha, Koi, Drink Tea, ChaTime, Share Tea. Today I tried a new one at Centrepoint - Dorabee - it was ok, but a little too sweet.
All have similar characteristics which appeal to the health conscious, who want to be able to dictate sugar levels and ice quantity for their beverage.
Personally, here are my favorites.
Care to share yours??
1. ChaTime - the tea here is the Best! First got to try this on George street in Sydney, and so glad someone decided to bring the franchise to Singapore! You can get ChaTime from Tangs Plaza basement and Pasir Ris Downtown East.
2. Koi - one of the first Koi outlets at Chinatown was my favorite bubble tea place almost 4 years ago! I used to go there for my Aiyu ice tea with pearl after my yoga session. I still think they serve the best Aiyu ice tea in town.
3. Gong Cha - I first tried the milk tea with pearls 2 years ago in hong kong where I went on the prowl for ChaTime but failed to find it and settled for Gong Cha off Nathan road. Today, gong Cha is literally everywhere!!! I think the beverages are so-so, and I don't like that they only have 1 size for their drinks, as I always order the larger sizes and love to put aloe Vera & kanten jelly or ai Yu jelly on top of my pearls.
4. Drink Tea 水研社 - I patronize this shop at least once a week as it is the new and popular tea shop at Kovan Heartland Mall and Serangoon NEX. We love their Roselle pearls and plum jelly and the fresh milk tea taste great.
5. Share Tea - I first tried this at Bugis Junction basement and I must say the tea is ok but I love their mini pearls! The only drawback is their tea is comparatively more expensive than the other tea places with a large drink + 3 toppings cost almost $5.
6. Dorabee - this was the new kid on the block I tried today and I must say the beverage is sweet for 0% sugar choice. They have interesting flavors like wheat and ginger tea.
7. Other bubble tea I have tried but am not hot for are: sweet talk / pure tea / each a cup / happy lemon/ cup walker