2014年2月25日火曜日

Dear Daddy Dearest

It has been almost 6 months since you've left us. It hasn't been easy to come to terms with your sudden passing, and I miss you very much.

All my life everyone has told me that I looked exactly like you. I've always shrugged it off but you were always sweet to point out: "of course, she's my baby!" And you were right. There is alot of you in me. More than I ever realized.

☆ Sunny Kang - no one has a more sunny outlook on life than you, Daddy... you are the reason I believe in positivity and smiling everyday. You once said the world would still be the same whether we smiled or cried, so why don't we keep smiling to make it a better place? 

♡ you led by example that love should be vocalized. You were always openly affectionate with mum, and would tell her in front of everyone that you loved her. Mum might have been embarrassed but I'm sure your words made her very happy. They made me very happy. They made me believe that love existed and one day I would find that partner who would tell me everyday that he loved me. I am so lucky I did find him and you were able to marry me off to him. I am so happy you were able to witness my happiness and how I've found someone who would love me for the rest of my life.

☆You taught me how important it was to engage with people on a heart to heart level. Serving the community with your heart (taking part in grassroots, organizing visits to the homes, treating a stranger begging for money to a meal). You always had this strange confidence that things done your way was right. I understand now that it was a result of your letting your heart and conscience lead you in your interactions with people. It did not matter to you even if they did not thank you for the effort. As long as we did it right. We'll help if we are able to help. 

I am forever grateful for the time we managed to spend together before your condition deteriorated and you were confined to the hospital grounds. The time we spent laughing and playing together with my first born, Kyo, the outings to lunch at our favorite places, followed by playtime and shopping for the little one, were precious moments of happiness I will forever treasure.  

Mirai was not as lucky. She hardly got to spend time with you and you only saw her twice. You could not hold, hug and kiss her like you did Kyo. What I would give for a little more time for her to get to know her most fantastic Grandpa. 

Kyo still talks of you fondly and remembers your affection for her. Thanks to you, she's filled with pleasant and happy memories of days spent with Grandpa and she's always so proud of the paper mache penguin she made for you at school that accompanied you throughout your stay at the hospital. 

And Dad, I will always remember how you stood up for me and slapped my sister when she slapped me and told her never to lift a finger to hit me again as even you and mum can never bear to hit me. My whole life I have never felt less precious to you since that day. Thanks to those outings to eat stuff all over the island together, I've become much of a foodie, and eating all our favorite clams, teochew porridge, wanton mee etc. All the local delights are not just delicious to me, they taste so good because I remember I ate them with you. 

Thank you for being so much a part of my life and for being my one and only Daddy Dearest. I miss you. 


0 件のコメント: